UPDATE 4/7/2020: The Governor's Proclamation 20-28 temporarily prohibits any in-person contact with the public that is required by the Public Records Act (PRA) (RCW 42.56), suspending some statutory language that would require such contacts. This proclamation also temporarily suspends the PRA’s requirements for agencies to respond to PRA requests for public records within five business days from receipt, and to maintain business hours for public inspection and copying of records for a minimum of 30 hours per week. It is effective from March 24, 2020 until midnight, April 23, 2020, unless extended beyond that date.
UPDATE 3/23/2020: Our staff members continue to process public disclosure requests, but requestors may experience delays while COVID-19 restrictions are in place. If you are requesting paper records or records that require special systems or equipment to locate or compile, there will be a significant delay in producing the records.
The Gambling Commission follows RCW 42.56 and WAC 230-21 regarding disclosure of its public records.
All Records Available for Public Disclosure are:
- Issued through the Commission's office at 4565 7th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA
- Available during normal office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
- Processed by the Public Records Officer
Records Exempt from Disclosure are Listed in RCW 42.56 or in Other Laws that Prevent Disclosure of Certain Documents
Some examples include:
- Investigative or intelligence records, the nondisclosure of which is necessary for effective law enforcement;
- Records pending court or administrative action, for which charges have not been filed;
- Information that identifies a complainant, witness, or victim who requests nondisclosure;
- Preliminary drafts, notes, recommendations and intra-agency memorandums not publicly cited by the agency in connection with any agency action;
- Records or sections of records that invade a person's right to privacy; and
- Specific agency personnel records.
Requests to View or Copy Gambling Commission Public Records may
- Be made over the phone, by mail, e-mail, fax, or in person;
- Incur copying and other costs explained on the enclosed form, which must be paid before documents can be released.
- Must be made through the Records Officer
Records Obtained Through Public Disclosure that Identify Licensed Individuals may NOT:
- Be used for any commercial purpose;
- Be used to contact licensed individuals as part of a profit seeking business activity.
Delays Completing Your Request may Occur When:
- Your request is too broad or too vague;
- The record(s) requested cannot be readily identified; or
- Other agencies or persons affected by the request must be contacted. (RCW 42.56.540 allows the commission to notify persons named in the record prior to disclosure of the record.)
Avoid Delays by:
- Calling for assistance;
- Signing the form and including your contact information; and
- Specifying, in detail, the record you are seeking.
Assistance is available by contacting the Gambling Commission's records officer, Kat Husted or by calling:
(800) 345-2529, extension 3529
Submit a Records Request:
Fill out the following fields to submit a records request.
Charges Incidental to Copying
- The copying fee is $.15 per page.
- Postage amounts are for First Class U.S. Postage.
Reprint of RCW 42.56.070
This chapter shall not be construed as giving authority to any agency . . . to give, sell or provide access to lists of individuals requested for commercial purposes, and agencies . . . shall not do so unless specifically authorized or directed by law. . .
Reprint of RCW 42.56.540
An agency has the option of notifying persons names in the record or to whom a record specifically pertains . . . (and in some circumstances may be) . . . required by law to provide such notice.
Reprint of WAC 230-21-015(4)
If a person is not specifically authorized by law to obtain lists of names of individuals from public records, that person must complete a statement agreeing not to release or use the public record information for commercial purposes.