Frequently Asked Questions

Licensing - Individuals

How can I check the status of my new application?

Status can be checked on the WSGC (Washington State Gambling Commission) website. To check the status of your new application, go to "License Status Check" from the home page, type in either your first and last name or license number. If you get a message that indicates "no record", then the application probably has not been received or entered in the system. If your application has been received, you will find the status of "pending" (meaning received but not processed), "incomplete" (meaning your application was received and there is something missing), or "approved" (meaning the application is processed and license is in the mail). If you see a status of "incomplete", we will notify you by letter, email or phone call for the item (s) needed. You may also contact the Individual's Unit by telephone (800) 345-2529 to gain status information. However, we prefer that you use our website so that Licensing Staff can use the time to process applications.

How can I find out the status of my renewal application?

On the WSGC website you can check the status of your renewal application. To check the status of your renewal application, go to the link that says Organization or Employee Renewal License Status. After you type in the license number, the screen will show you the status as pending (meaning received but not processed) or licensed if we have received and processed the renewal application.

I would like to pay for my renewal fees with a check or credit card. Am I able to do so?

Yes, you are able to renew your license on-line with a check or credit card using the "Online Services" tab on the WSGC website. On the top right corner of your renewal application there is a 6 digit pin number. In order to renew your license on-line you will need that pin number, your license number, an e-mail address, check information or visa or MasterCard.

Do I have to submit a new application if I let my license expire?

Yes. If your license expires, you must submit a new application and you must not operate any gambling activity until a new license is issued, per WAC 230-03-075.

How do you define residency?

Residency is your physical location, not your mailing address.

Do I pay in state or out of state fees?

If you have lived outside of Washington State for a total of 6 months or more in the past 10 years you are required to pay out of state fees. This includes military duty, working out of state during summer months, etc.

Do I need an employer to apply for and receive a license?

Yes. The employer or designee must sign each application. See WAC 230-03-035 and 230-03-040.

When can a card room employee (CRE) begin working?

As a new applicant, you must wait ten (10) days from the date we received your completed application or until your application shows "approved" on our website. If the application is incomplete, a Customer Service Specialist will notify you by letter, phone or email and your application will also appear on the WSGC (Washington State Gambling Commision) website as "incomplete". You may not begin working as a CRE until your application has been completed. If you are transferring or adding an employer while the original application is still pending, you must submit a transfer application and fees. You may not begin working at either location until after the 10-day waiting period or approval on the website. The 10-day waiting period does not apply if you have convictions or pending criminal charges listed in RCW 9.46.075 (4). In that case, you may not begin working until your status is shown as "licensed" on the WSGC website.

Can I fax you a copy of my driver's license?

No. Mail all copies of identification and photos. Photographed images do not show up legibly when faxed. The US Postal Service provides a greater degree of security when submitting copies of identification, such as a driver's license. You may also scan and e-mail your identification to the Customer Service Specialist assigned to your application.

Can I work for more than one card room?

Yes, but you must have a current license and the employer must submit a transfer application and fees. You may begin working when a completed transfer application and fees are mailed or submitted online. If the application is incomplete when WSGC receives it, a Customer Service Specialist will contact both the employer and you and you are not authorized to work until we receive the missing item(s). If you transfer or add another employer and your original application is still pending, a transfer application and fees must be submitted. You are unable to work until after the 10-day waiting period or until your application is shown as approved on our website.

Do I have to let the commission know when a new employee begins working or is terminated?

If you are starting an employee and they have a current card room employee license, you must submit a transfer application and transfer fee. If you are terminating an employee, you must notify our office within ten business days of the employee's termination, see WAC 230-06-083. Both on-line processes are available on our website and require a business e-mail address or Secure Access Washington account. Contact a Customer Service Specialist to register for the on-line services.

What happens if my check is returned for NSF (non-sufficient funds) check charges during the licensing process?

If your check is returned as NSF and we have already issued a license, the license that you received will become invalid. You may not conduct any gambling activity until you have paid the license fee with a cashier's check, money order, or cash (if paid over the counter at the Lacey headquarters office), plus an additional $30.00 processing charge.

If you submitted a new application and your check is returned as NSF, no further work will be done on your file until all fees are paid along with the additional $30.00 processing charge, see WAC 230-05-010.

What fee do I pay if I was stationed/deployed out-of-state for more than six months in 10 years?

If the applicant has lived out of Washington, even while maintaining a residence in Washington while deployed or stationed out of Washington for a total of six months in the last 10 years, the applicant must pay the out-of-state fees. The difference in fee is the amount we must pay Washington State Patrol (WSP) to process and forward our applicant fingerprints to the US Department of Justice (DOJ). WSP is the state repository for all fingerprint records. We submit fingerprints to WSP and DOJ to help us evaluate an applicant's criminal conviction record. An applicant for a gambling license can be denied if the applicant has a disqualifying criminal conviction record. We often receive information from DOJ that was not available to us through WSP and this includes information on service personnel who have been fingerprinted by military police for crimes committed while in uniform. This is why our operating rules and the Revised Code of Washington do not make a distinction for an applicant who is deployed out-of-state for military service.

I was on active military service when my license expired. Can I still renew or do I need to reapply for my CRE license?

Yes you can renew your license. Per WAC 230-05-035 (8), if a license expires while an individual is on active military service, the individual may apply to have their license reissued at the renewal fee. The application must be received within six months after completing their active military service. The applicant shall provide evidence of the completion date of active military service.

Am I required to submit new criminal history?

Per WAC 230-06-085, licensees must report in writing within 30 days all criminal actions filed against the licensee, any manager of the licensed gambling activity, the business organization, or any person holding a substantial interest in the business organization. We must receive a copy of the final written decision or settlement within 30 days after the case is resolved. This can be submitted either in mail, email, or fax.

I am applying for a gambling license and have been told sometimes fingerprint cards are rejected. What are the primary reasons my prints might be rejected?

Please see this Adobe PDF attachment provided by the Washington State Patrol.

PDF files require the
free Adobe Reader.

Page last updated 01/09/2014 11:13 AM
Washington State Gambling Commission

Copyright ©  Washington State Gambling Commission